Wednesday 21 October 2015

10 Tips for A Successful Volunteer Abroad Experience (Tip #2: The Longer the Better)

10 Tips for A Successful Volunteer Abroad Experience

Tip #2: The Longer the Better

I can almost guarantee that the longer you stay somewhere, the more beneifical it will be for you AND for the organization of your choice. The more you put in, the more you get out. Relationships take time to build, and they are central to a successful volunteering experience. The longer amount of time you commit to, the stronger your relationships will be with those you are working for, and with. Your understanding of the people, culture, and issues surrounding your project will be so much greater if you invest a significant amount of time.

How much time are we talking?
I don't want to limit anyone, but I will share my opinion.

If you want to teach, or work in a managerial/administrative setting, build meanginful friendhips or connections (ie: orphanage work, social work, etc), the bare minimum should be 8 weeks. You simply cannot expect to adjust to a new culture and new social setting AND learn a new job AND build relationships, in less. If you can stay 3 months, 6 months, or longer, that is going to be so much more rewarding for you! I think you do yourself and the people you will work with a disservice if you can't commit to a decent length of time.

The exception to this, I think, is if you volunteer with a group tackling a specific project, ie: building a school, running a children's daycamp, etc.

I'm writing this for myself, as much as anyone else. I personally struggle with this because I have committment issues ;-)

After 4 weeks at the Girls' Home in Peru, I felt like I was only just starting to connect with them in a meaningful way, and then I was leaving. And now, I'm coming to the end of my third week volunteering at Fatima Center, and I know there is so much more I could help with and make a difference in if I was staying longer. And the relationships I've begun are still so fragile...I think partly because both sides know that in a week or two, I'll be gone anyway.

Staying a short time means that you arent able to absorb the amazing new opportunitiees and relationships available to you, you can't help in a significant way because you haven't had time to adjust to and understand the situation you are entering. You are less likely to be prepared to commit emotionally and mentally to your project, because the time will pass so quickly, and your deadline will loom over you and those you interact with. Your mindset and priorities change when you know you are "stuck" there for a while!

With this in mind, it becomes even more important to choose your organization carefully, so that you don't become committed long-term to a project that isn't going to support you in the ways you need, or don't operate as advertised (still looking at you, Aldeas de Paz).
Many organizations find short-term volunteers to be a lot of work, because they rarely get to a point of independence and meaningful connection. Usually longer duration stays are encouraged by reducing fees after a certain length of time commitment.

My advice if you are unsure of the suitability of an organization, is to commit to a minimum of a month, but leave your options open so that if you decide you like them, you can extend your stay. If you already know it is a reputable NGO, then dive in, and give it your best! The longer the better!

1 comment:

netablogs said...

Does that mean you are considering staying longer?