Sunday 23 June 2013

Over The Hump

Well, the season is already more than half over! And tomorrow will be my first real day off since I arrived in PG at the end of April! Its an exciting prospect.

Sunrise at the West Fraser camp
What do I have planned, you may ask? Sleeping in (that means anything past 4 AM), errand running, eating out (not cooking anything will be lovely), cold beverages enjoyed in the wonderful hot summery weather, and as many naps as I can squeeze into 24 hours.
Our kitchen trailer! 
On Tuesday we drive to Rocky Mountain House, Alberta. I'm charging the iPod with the Harry Potter audiobooks...we are hoping to make a dent in listening to The Goblet of Fire, but its been slow going so far. I've given up on my goal of listening to the entire series before the end of the season!

My lovely assistant and BFF, Karissa
Well, that was a bit of a tangent. My brain is so fried, I could serve it with the scrambled eggs for breakfast.
Originally our mid-season break was supposed to begin Friday night. Unfortunately our camp fell behind in their planting schedule, and we ended up having to get an extension on both contracts. The poor planters have been working so hard the last couple days trying to finish it on time. Last night they didn't get back for dinner until 9:30/10:00 PM, and they had left at 6 AM that morning.

Starting breakfast before the sun comes up.
 Some of them even went out today, while the rest of us took down camp. Its been stressful for everyone, and difficult for us as cooks because we have to plan meals day-by-day, attempting to buy as little as possible to minimize waste, and yet still have enough to feed them satisfactorily. It makes it even more complicated that grocery stores are very far away and we don't have a vehicle. I was sending my grocery list by text to someone in town yesterday when I discovered at 2PM that I was going to need to make breakfast and lunch the next day.
"Expect the unexpected" has become the motto. That, and "Keep Calm and Carry On"!

So, the point is, our 4 day break has become a 1 day break. Karissa and I had planned a grand roadtrip adventure to Barkerville for these days, but now we are just going to stick around PG and catch up on some much-needed rest.

Good times in the kitchen.
I really do love this job, in spite of how tired I am. Even on the bad days I am thankful for this opportunity and the wonderful people I get to work alongside. I couldn't have asked for a better group to cook for. I feel like I've gained a bunch of (mostly younger) brothers and sisters, and I love chatting with them while they come through the line for meals, asking how their day went...telling them to eat their vegetables...hearing their stories. My little cooks' heart is warmed when they say how the best part of their day is coming back for dinner. They are so encouraging and thankful, it makes the long days worth it somehow. I've begun saying, "Next time I will do this and that..." and "When I come back next year...". I forsee this job paying my way through university. I even get to dress up in costumes and throw themed dinners...what's not to love?

Pirate night! (That's Karissa's "Arrrr" face!)

1 comment:

netablogs said...

So glad that things are working out so well for you and Karissa! Looking forward to hearing how it's going in Rocky Mt House!!