Friday 11 October 2013

Hostel Review: Easy Palace Station Hotel

Easy Palace Station Hotel, now known as Smart Stay Hostel
Munich, Germany
Photo credit: here
Where we heard about it: I believe I found it through hostelbookers.com

What sealed the deal: Relatively cheap, central, and close to the train station.

First impressions: Looked very hole-in-the-wall, but the receptionist was extremely welcoming and helpful!

Photo credit: here
What we paid: honestly...I have no idea. I remember thinking it was cheap. I didn't write it down, and I can't find my old receipts. This is the downside to waiting 2 years before writing about your trip.

What we liked: Again, the ol' memory is getting a little fuzzy here...I am pretty sure there was free wi-fi, optional breakfast for a small extra fee, free storage for our bags (though we felt safe enough that we just left our stuff in our room), comfortable beds, very central location- literally 1 minute from the train station, close to a grocery store and pretty much anything a backpacker needs. Friendly staff, relatively clean rooms, drinks and some food served in the downstairs lounge area...it was very chill, quiet, and comfortable.
Also a plus was the British couple we shared a dorm room with (Hi Ben & Ellie! If by some chance you happen to read this and you are coming to BC, give me a shout, I'd love to share a drink with you guys again!).

What we didn't like: The stairs were a bit brutal, but that is nitpicking. I don't remember being dissatisfied with anything here.

Photo credit: here
Internet availability: I think there was a computer you could use for a small fee, and I am pretty sure we got free Wi-Fi...but I don't really remember. Erk. This review is not turning out to be very helpful.

Would we stay there again: I really enjoyed my stay. However upon investigating The Easy Palace, I discovered it has since undergone some intense renovations! It is now called The Smart Stay Hostel, and looks very fancy schmancy! The hole-in-the-wall, run-down creakiness that I thought gave it personality seems to have been replaced by a sleek and modern design. There are loads of new amenities, and it looks like it may also have expanded. I am sure it is still a wonderful place...my only concern is that the price now reflects the shiny chrome hardware.

Disclaimer: this is not a paid advertisement! The opinions expressed here belong only to Regis and I. The current prices can be found at http://station.smart-stay.de/

No comments: