Monday 27 January 2014

The Statue of Liberty!

On our last full day in New York we did a lot of sightseeing! Our last stop was catching the FREE Staten Island ferry to catch a glimpse of Lady Liberty herself...

The ferry terminal

The sun was going down as we set off, which made for some really pretty views of the city with all the lights coming on. It also made for some really crappy photos because there was not enough light for my camera to adjust :)

Pulling away from the terminal
The ferry was packed with tourists, and I had to be quite assertive when it came to finding a viewing spot by the railing, and standing my ground!

Regis and Lady Liberty

Luckily I was able to snap a few photos, though between the low light, and the rumbling ferry it was difficult to get a sharp image. This is just going to have to do!

Yet another check on the bucket list!
I had to laugh when we arrived on the other side, and the horde of tourists (including the belling-ringing team and I!) immediately looped around to board the ferry heading straight back where we came from! All that trouble just for a look and a snapshot of this statue...granted, a very important and iconic statue :)

3 comments:

Mumsy said...

Impressive. Lady Liberty is HUGE!!

Kriss said...

I love your first photo. The lights from the ferry terminal make an awesome glow. Nice job being a pushy tourist and getting those photos :)

Jill said...

I didn't realize that I had no expectation for how big the statue would be until some others were remarking that they thought it was small! I still thought it was impressive.
Glad you like the photos!