Saturday 19 December 2015

Being Lazy in Luang Prabang

I did it.
I finally booked a ticket out of Luang Prabang. I am committed to leaving.
I was beginning to think that I might stay forever, or at least until my month-long visa expired of my bank account ran dry (which would be fairly quick...it is FREAKING expensive here).

Luang Prabang has a way of seducing you into forgetting that there might be more to life that sleeping in, nibbling delicious French-inspired goodies, wandering peaceful atmospheric streets, snapping photos of pictueresque sunny vistas, and eyeing interesting handicrafts at the Night Market. That's about all I've been doing in my abundant spare time the past week. Apart from taking my first day "off", and losing a day or two to being sick, I have been enjoying taking it easy and exploring the nooks, crannies, and restaurants in the city.

Going to the trouble of buying a ticket, the thought of trying to pack my overstuffed backpack -and put it on my back!-, going somewhere new and moving my butt from the comfort of the adorable bungalow where I have been staying all sounded like TOO MUCH WORK.

I reminded myself it was all about baby steps. Yesterday, I forced my lethargic legs to take me to the minibus that would drive me to Tat Kuang Si, the amazing local waterfalls. SO MUCH WORK. On the bus I forced myself to start a conversation with the girl next to me. She was about my age, from California, and also traveling solo. It didnt take us long to become fast friends, and we spent the rest of the day exploring together, including hiking up and around the falls, cooing over the hilarious fat-cheeked bears in the Bear Rescue Center, and being astounded by butterfly facts at the Butterfly Park. Once we had returned to the city, we shared dinner, visted the night market, and then sadly, parted ways.

The little excursion roused me from my sleepy (lazy) stupor, and I faced the fact that I really should move on and see more of this beautiful country.

I am headed for Nong Khiaw next...not really sure what there is to do there, but I have heard its nice, so I"ll figure it out when I arrive, I guess!

Sorry I can't seem to upload any photos today...the internet is not cooperating!

No comments: